penne alla vodka recipe
If you're in the spirit for some comfort food, this luscious dish is worth every penne. It combines silky cream with sweet tomato and sharp vodka to form a rich Penne all Vodka. Impress your loved ones or save this recipe for your next date night.
- 1 medium onion
- 4 garlic cloves
- 2 Tbsp of Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/2 tsp of chilli flakes (optional)
- 3/4 Cup of Heavy Cream
- 1/4 Cup of Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 Cup of Tomato paste
- 2 Tbsp of Vodka
- 500g of Rigatoni
- Salt to taste
- 250g - 500g of Pancetta or Bacon
- Boil water in a large pot and toss in a handful of salt. Whilst this is boiling, dice the onion and garlic.
- In a Dutch oven, heat the olive oil before adding the onion and garlic. Cook this until the onion has slightly browned.
- Add the tomato paste and chilli flakes to evenly coat the onion. Once the paste turns a deep red, add the vodka to deglaze the pan and begin stirring. Reduce the medium heat to low.
- Add the heavy cream to the pot and stir until a smooth sauce forms. Remove from heat.
- Add the rigatoni to the pot of boiling water and cook until al dente.
- Scoop 1 cup of the pasta cooking liquid and add this to the tomato paste mixture.
- Drain the pasta and begin stirring this into the mixture. Once combined, gradually add half of the parmesan.
- Divide the pasta among bowls and top with the remaining cheese and a drizzle of olive oil.